Whether it is a pocket watch, classic Rolex, or a vintage watch passed down to you from generation to generation, you want to take care of it and ensure that you can then pass it down to your children and grandchildren.
You can keep that treasured family heirloom in good working order just by having it regularly maintained by a watch repair company like our jewelry store in Pasadena, Texas.
Here are some things that we do to ensure your treasured watches stay in the best shape possible:
- Clean and oil the watch or pocket watch, including taking the watch movement apart.
- All parts are washed in benzene, including jewel mountings, wheels, screws, balance, jewels and more. This removes any dirt and old oil that has accumulated over time.
- The parts are also washed in a special soap solution, cleaned in cyanide, put back into soap and water, and then immersed in alcohol before being left to completely dry.
- Each part of your watch or pocket watch is then polished and reassembled.
- All bearing surfaces are oiled.
While not in use, you should keep your antique watches and vintage pocket watches somewhere that will minimize contact with dust and lint, which could work their way into the watch movements and eventually damage the watches. These watches should be wound every 24 hours as they are not like modern watches that do not require such attention. A pocket watch should be cleaned and oiled every 12-18 months while a wristwatch can be done every 6-10 months.
While the job of a watch or pocket watch is to keep the most accurate time, you also want to preserve this special legacy in the best way possible. Our Pasadena, Texas jewelry and watch repair shop has extensive experience with all types of watches and pocket watches.
Check out our reviews to learn more about how much pride we take in our repair and cleaning work as well as the depth of expertise we apply to each watch repair and maintenance order.
Call our Houston watch repair and jewelry store today or just simply bring in your vintage watch and we will have it ticking in no time.